Monday, December 25, 2017

Japanese lap quilt

Mont and Mary's Quilt

44 in. X 44 in.

I am so proud of this quilt. I have many weaknesses as a quilter and strip-piecing and accuracy are top among them. You know how when you're new to a hobby, you don't really know what you can or can't do because it's all new? Well, I've been around quilting enough now to recognize what I can't do. And this pattern is something I recognized as a high difficulty level. But my friends asked me to make this project for their parents' 50th wedding anniversary. And I wanted to challenge myself and to make the time to quilt again. (I've been pretty much in the weeds 

In October I received the fabric and pattern from friends to make this in time for Christmas. And I worked on it a bit in October, but mostly worked on it in November. And then as I lay in bed on the night of December 17 I sat up with panic and dread. Oh my gosh, I still haven't finished the quilt yet! I had been working regularly here and there, but had not really paid attention to my timeline so it had seriously snuck up on me. Okay, in 7 days I needed to finish the front (all the parts were done, but not yet one front piece), cut the backing and batting, make the binding, and QUILT the quilt. Holy cuss words. 

Thank goodness for grandparents (free daycare), takeout, and a forgiving husband. (Our house was a mess during this week of last-minute busyness.) I was a frantic little elf working in small chunks during my lunch break, and a couple hours at night. Zack took on baby duties every night which even encouraged me to still go to my evening exercise classes. The project came together rather quickly. And when I finally got the sewing on the binding, I took myself and the quilt to the local bar for drink. (P.S. Binding is one of my favorite parts of quilt-making. I know it's a least favorite thing for others, but I really enjoy it. Mostly for the reason that I can travel easily with it.)

I love the quilting on this. I decided to make "hashmarks" in groups of 5 lines and space them just here and there as I saw fit. My new pattern recently has been to hand-quilt and I think I'm sticking with it. I love the looks of it. 

More about the quilt:
The Ms are taken from the parents' signatures. The quilt pattern called for cherry blossoms, but the daughter asked for leaves so that family members could sign their names. 
Quilt label
Beer drinking and quilt making

Sashiko-inspired hand quilting
Closeup of the appliqué and chunky quilting around the shapes


No comments:

Post a Comment