Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Quilting makes the quilt!

The exciting thing about sewing quilts, is the quilting part. Quilting is the act of connecting the layers-- front, back and batting-- all together so nothing shifts around.

There are many ways of quilting. One can tie it together every few inches with yarn or thick thread. One can use a basic home sewing machine. (My newest Alma Mater quilt, was quilted at home. Straight-ish lines for me.) Or there are such wonders as longarm quilting machines.  These machines are large and expensive (a low price is maybe $8,000) but super cool!

The fabric store in McMinnville has a basement with several of these machines for use. One can take a class with them, then rent their use for an afternoon, or one can test drive them in order to determine what to buy.

My boss, Laurie, and I took the longarm quilting class a couple weekends ago.  I got to quilt something that she started a couple months ago and that I had offered to quilt for her. Laurie likes straight lines and geometric-like grids, so I was pretty baffled for quilting ideas because an arrangement of straight lines just wasn't going to enhance the piece (especially not with my beginning skills.)

Luckily, I still had not gotten around to quilting it by the time our class came up, so I packed her quilt and was prepared to finally be done with the project.

Here is how the quilt ended up: a pattern of curlicues and loops in multi-colored thread.



Closeup of the quilting



No comments:

Post a Comment