Thursday, March 21, 2013

On the Clothesline- Deer Crossing

Deer Crossing
A scrappy baby quilt
44 in. x 44 in.

This is the second quilt of four to come from my stash of Sarah Watts Timber & Leaf fabric collection.

The middle horizontal and middle vertical sections are quilted with very close lines. They intersect in the center square. The four corners are quilted with intersecting lines that do not cross one another.

(Sorry about the harsh creases from keeping the blanket folded. Photos aren't the best.)



Front

Back

Waffle/Grid effect in the center square

Some baby is ready to relax and picnic on this quilt!



Another baby is ready for story time in their favorite reading chair!



A quick anectdote-- The quilt has some quirks, like, lots of rumples and frustrating ruffles. During the whole process I felt like I wouldn't be able to sell it.  "Who would want to buy this?" I kept on asking myself.  So I quickly reasoned that I should give it away, rather than have someone buy it as a gift for someone. 
The other night Zack and I went to hear Anais Mitchell in concert. I am head over heels in love with her voice. To our surprise, we learned that she's pregnant! I immediately thought, "I can give Anais this baby quilt!" But then, I thought about how odd it might be and the whole interaction and exchange mightn't  be worth it.
Imagine me, post concert: "Um, Anais. I love you! I mean, I love your music. I made a baby quilt for your baby."
Anais: "You knew I was pregnant before you came to the concert?"
Me: "I know everything about you. I mean, I just finished the quilt and I have to give it someone so I thought I'd give it to you. Even though it's small.  And I didn't know you were pregnant actually. I just wanted to give you some token of affection."

And she'd laugh pleasantly and awkwardly and thank me. And send me on my merry way. And I'd leave and pretend I didn't think the whole exchange was awkward too.

1 comment:

  1. I love the bright underside, and varied lines. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete